That's drizzle . . . not drivel--

Simply living... in the Pacific Northwest





Monday, August 12, 2013

Pie Sunday


I've been baking pies on Sunday lately. I used to hate baking pies, with all the hassle of getting that pastry just right. But I have the technique down now. Plus I got myself a new rolling mat printed with concentric circles representing the various sizes of pie plates. That really does help me -- if I roll just past (maybe one inch) the circle, say, 10 in. for a 9-inch plate, it gives me enough "play" for the edges.

I learned, too, that if you have extra pastry hanging over the plate, simply fold it under...it helps the crimp and makes a pretty even-looking edge.

Do you have pie-baking tips? I know some use pie-baking machines (as seen on tv!). Do you? I have to admit, I'm a gadget fool and have been tempted by those.

Now for Friend Making Monday----as seen on All the Weigh


Have You Ever?
 1. Jumped out of an airplane?  No...but I may put it on my bucket list.
2. Lived alone?  Yep.  At the time, I loved it, but eventually, found someone who makes it seem like a sad alternative.
3. Met a celebrity? Only in his mind.
4. Said something to someone that you immediately regret saying? Yes. But I'm smarter now.
5. Had a manicure/pedicure? I've had a mani---but not a pedi. For years I didn't even know they existed!
6.  Gotten a hickey? Yep. From the man who would become my husband.
7. Owned a pet that was not a dog or a cat?  Had a parakeet and two goats at one time. Well, the goats were really brush-eating, non-paid employees.
8. Been outside of your home country?  Yes, upon high school graduation I traveled to Europe and visited 13 countries. I've also been to Mexico and Canada.
9. Kissed your best friend? Yes, see #6.
10. Eaten food that fell on the floor?  Sure...just yesterday I think.
11. Met someone online? Yes, but not what you think. I met a woman from clear across the country who I'd been talking to on a women's health board for years. She's a scream and we had a blast meeting up.
12. Been on TV? No, I don't believe I have.
13. Had braces?  No...when I was a kid only rich kids could get braces, or the kids of dentists. So, I have bottom teeth which resemble a crooked picket fence.
14. Gone skinny dipping?  Yes, but in a pond on my own property.
15. Been to the opera? Yes, it was required for a class. I think I would rather stick a knitting needle in my ear. I love the symphony, but not the opera.
16. Been caught making out by a policeman?  Are you kidding?? My dad was the town cop! That answer would be, "No."
17. Sung in public? Only in a crowd, like at a ballgame or in church.
18. Handed out candy on Halloween? Oh, sure. My parents lived on the main drag of our small town. We got hundreds of kids for Halloween. My mom was sure grouchy that night.  I don't mind doing it, but it seems the past 6-8 years there are fewer and fewer kids t-or-t'ing.
19. Been snowed in? No, I don't let a lot of snow stop me.
20. Fallen in front of other people? Ha! I just did this the other day. Funny how the first thing you do is look around to see if anyone saw you. Before even checking yourself out for blood or injuries.
21. Cheated on a test? NO! Wow, that is not cool. 
22. Regretted saying “I love you” to someone? No, but I think maybe I've regretted not saying it one last time to someone.
23. Finished a meal in a restaurant and realized that you didn’t have your wallet? Oh, yeah, I pull that on my husband all the time on dates I ask him out on.
24. Shot a gun? Yes, many times. My dad was a law enforcement officer and a hunter, and we all learned how to shoot and respect firearms.
25. Heard a song that was written for (or about) you? Yes, one especially for me and my husband. 
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back here and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment